How do I install SYNC®* updates using a USB or Wi-Fi**?
You can find instructions for installing SYNC updates by Wi-Fi or a USB drive, also known as a thumb or flash drive, on the SYNC and Navigation Updates page.
Note: Instructions vary based on your SYNC generation.
Identifying Your Vehicle's SYNC Generation
Use the following resources to help identify your SYNC generation:
- The SYNC and Navigation Updates page allows you to enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), or log in with your Ford credentials and select Check for update. Your current SYNC generation will appear on the right-hand side of the page.
- The SYNC Visual Reference Guide has example images of each generation of SYNC.
Update Methods by SYNC Generation
- SYNC 4A or SYNC 4 updates are performed over Wi-Fi with Software Updates.
- SYNC 3 updates can be performed via Wi-Fi, with the exception of SYNC 3-equipped vehicles without a touchscreen or navigation.
- MyFord Touch® can only be updated with a USB drive.
Important: If you have SYNC with MyFord, SYNC Gen 1.1, SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation, SYNC with "P" Navigation, or SYNC Gen 1, you are unable to update SYNC via Wi-Fi or USB and will have to take your vehicle to a Ford Dealer for updates.
Checking for and Installing SYNC Updates
- Visit the SYNC and Navigation Updates page.
- Enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), or sign in to your Ford account and select a vehicle from your garage.
- Choose Check for update.
- Select the dropdown under SYNC UPDATES.
Note: If you have the latest SYNC software version, you will see a green checkmark and a message stating that an update is not available for your vehicle.
- Choose USB Drive or Wi-Fi as your preferred installation method and follow the instructions.
- Installing USB updates can take up to 45 minutes.
- For Wi-Fi updates, the download time can vary from a few hours to multiple days depending on internet-related factors (Wi-Fi strength, internet speeds, time connected to Wi-Fi network, etc.).
- You cannot connect to the vehicle's Wi-Fi Hotspot (if equipped) to install Wi-Fi updates.
*Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
**Requires in-vehicle USB mobile broadband connection, PAN-supported mobile device or proximity to an outside wireless hotspot. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.