What do I do if I cannot unlock my Ford with Phone As A Key™*?
If you are unable to unlock your vehicle with your phone, make sure it meets Phone As A Key requirements and follow the troubleshooting steps below.
Phone As A Key Cell Phone Requirements
If Phone As A Key is not working, make sure:
- Your phone is at:
- Bluetooth®** version 4.2 and above
- iOS®† version 13 and above or Android™ OS version 8 and above
- You have the latest version of the FordPass®†† App.
- The Location Service/Permissions in your phone are set properly:
- iOS - Always
- Android - Allow all the time
- The Vehicle Connectivity Settings are enabled.
- The FordPass App is running on your phone.
- There is no case on your phone.
If your phone meets the minimum requirements, is set up properly, and you are still unable to use Phone As A Key:
- Move your phone closer to your vehicle.
If your phone is connected to the FordPass App, press the Remote Unlock button.
If your phone is not connected or the Remote Unlock button does not work in the FordPass App, force close and restart the Ford Pass App.
If the issue persists, proceed to Step 2.
- Try a different door.
If another door opens:
It may also allow the first door you tried to open to unlock.
This will be fixed in a future Software Update.
If other doors are not working, proceed to Step 3.
- Toggle Bluetooth off and then back on.
If the door still will not open, force close and relaunch the FordPass App.
If that does not work, reboot your device.
Back to Phone As A Key Troubleshooting
*Available on select vehicles. Requires feature activation. Not compatible with all smartphones.
**The Bluetooth word mark is a trademark of the Bluetooth SIG, Inc.
†iOS is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Android Auto is a trademark of Google LLC.
††The FordPass App, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available via a download. Message and data rates may apply.