- What is the Unbridled Extend drive mode?
- What does the Unbridled Extend drive mode change on the car?
- Is Unbridled Extend the same as the track mode on other Mustangs?
- Where is the Unbridled Extend drive mode most useful?
- The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) shows as being disabled in Unbridled Extend mode. Is it really off completely?
- Does the drive mode used by the driver affect the performance of the car in terms of acceleration and top speed? If so, how?
What is the Unbridled Extend drive mode?
Unbridled Extend is a drive mode extension in the Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition that enables more consistent power over longer periods of time by reducing peak power slightly. It was developed for drivers who wish to occasionally take their vehicle to an autocross or short track.
What does the Unbridled Extend drive mode change on the Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition?
The Unbridled Extend mode was developed for the maximum amount of fun-to-drive on a small track or autocross course. Changes include:
- More linear pedal mapping for both accelerator and brake
- Battery proactively cooled and power controlled for continuous, repeatable lap times
- All-wheel drive (AWD) system modified with a unique front/rear bias
- Stability and traction control modified to be less intrusive
- Amplified powertrain sound, audible even during idle
- Reduced levels of regenerative braking
- Disabled driver-assist features such as lane-keeping and cruise control
Is the Unbridled Extend drive mode the same as the track mode on other Mustangs?
No, Unbridled Extend is intended to offer sustained performance on a small track over time, not max track performance. It is meant to offer more consistent lap times before power derates. Our focus was to deliver on overall driver enjoyment like on-road grip, usable torque, and great handling for touring fun.
The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) shows as being disabled in Unbridled Extend mode. Is it really off completely?
The ESC thresholds are widened, which means that there is less intervention from the ESC system, but it still provides a safety net in the background. The ESC switch allows drivers to turn the system completely off. This comes with a clear message to the driver and is consistent with the Mustang brand.
Does the drive mode used by the driver affect the performance of the car in terms of acceleration and top speed? If so, how?
The drive modes affect pedal progression (or performance feel). Wide-open pedal acceleration is identical in all drive modes, except for Unbridled Extend. Unbridled Extend is developed for a maximum repeatable fun-to-drive experience on a closed track and this mode proactively cools and limits the power from the battery to ensure this consistency.