Ford Android Auto™* Frequently Asked Questions
Android Auto is a way to connect the experience of a mobile device with SYNC®** 3 and SYNC 4 systems. It provides access to mobile features and apps, such as on-screen navigation, text messaging, and more.
Which vehicles is Android Auto available on?
Android Auto is available on:
- 2017 and newer vehicles equipped with SYNC 3 or SYNC 4/4A
- 2016 vehicles with SYNC 3 and software version 2.0 or greater
Note: Android Auto is not compatible with SYNC 3 systems without a touchscreen.
What apps are compatible with Android Auto?
Google Play™ maintains a current list of Android Auto-compatible apps.
How do I get Android Auto on my cellular device?
Android Auto can be downloaded at the Google Play store.
Does my device need to be tethered to SYNC to use Android Auto?
SYNC 3 requires a USB-tethered connection to SYNC with a manufacturer-supplied USB cable. SYNC 4 can be operated wirelessly.
What are the device requirements?
The device requirements depend on the type of connection being used:
- Wireless connection:
- Google or Samsung®*** smartphones with Android 10.0
- Samsung Galaxy S8®, Galaxy S8+®, and Note 9® (all using Android 9.0)
- Other Android™ smartphones with Android 11.0 and 5GHz Wi‑Fi
- USB connection: Android phones running Android 6.0 or higher, with an active data plan
Where can I find additional information?
The Ford.com/support site contains additional information.
*Android Auto and Google Play are trademarks of Google LLC.
**Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
***Samsung, Samsung Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, and Samsung Note 9 are trademarks of Samsung.