How to install SYNC with MyFord Touch updates in your vehicle
We periodically release software updates to deliver the most advanced technology. To get started, download the software update to a USB drive. Once downloaded, take your laptop or mobile device to your vehicle and follow the steps below.27
Please note: If your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Access with Push Button Start feature, you will need to temporarily disable the Automatic Engine Idle Shutdown (AEIS) component before beginning the installation in order to prevent your vehicle from timing out and shutting off the engine before the software update is complete.
(To disable this feature, use your steering wheel controls to navigate to the Settings menu on your left-hand Instrument Cluster LCD display. From there, select Vehicle > Auto Engine Off > Off. Alternatively, after initiating the installation, you may drive the vehicle during the update process to avoid the engine shutting off. The AEIS will automatically reset to "On" the next time you start your vehicle. If you do not see this setting, there is no need to make any changes before starting the update.)
- Make note of any saved Navigation points: if you are updating a SYNC version prior to 3.0, you'll need to re-enter them after the update is complete.
- Remove any USB drives or devices that are plugged into the media hub USB ports.
- If your vehicle has an optional SD Card Navigation system, this update is compatible with A3, A4 and A5 SD cards only. If you’re currently using an A1 or A2 SD card, call 800-392-3673 to request a new SD card.
- Start your vehicle. You will need to leave the engine running for the entirety of the installation process. You can drive your vehicle during this process without interrupting the software update, or you can simply leave the vehicle running and parked in a safe place. (Please do not leave your vehicle unattended.)
Turn on the audio system and set your audio volume at a low but audible level.
- Insert the USB drive containing the update. Don't remove your USB drive until the installation is complete.
The installation should begin automatically.
In the event that the installation does not begin automatically, you can perform a Master Reset of your system.
- A message is spoken by the system and displayed on-screen to let you know the process is about to start and what to expect. The on-screen message has an “OK” button for you to confirm the start of the process.
- The system reboots, and then an installation progress bar displays on the touch screen. This segment may take up to 20 minutes.
You may see some variation in this segment, depending on your system.
- At the completion of this part of the process, a “Restarting System” message displays on the touch screen. A reboot will occur during this process.
The touch screen will then remain black for up to two minutes.
- “Installing Service Pack …” is displayed for more than 10 minutes.
Another black screen could last up to two minutes for rebooting.
- The system displays the Home Screen briefly, followed by a progress bar.
- A message acknowledges completion of the update along with a reminder to visit syncmyride.com/support to confirm successful installation.
- The update is complete when you see an “Installation Complete!” message. Press “OK” on your eight-inch center screen and remove the USB drive to enjoy your newly enhanced system.
- Take the USB drive back to your computer to report your installation.
Things to do after the update
Once you’ve installed the update, you’ll need to pair your phone and download your phone book. You’ll also have to re-enter any saved Navigation points.
If you experience problems with phone pairing after you install the update, try performing a “clean” pairing. First, delete SYNC® from your phone’s list of paired Bluetooth® devices. Then pair your phone as normal.