How do I reverse pair a phone with SYNC®* Gen 1?
Before pairing your phone and SYNC using Reverse Pairing, do the following:
- Your phone's Bluetooth®** is turned on.
- Your phone is in discoverable mode.
- The vehicle must be completely stopped (e.g. in park) to pair a phone.
Note: The pairing process can be different on each phone. Watching both the phone and the SYNC system for any messages is the best way to successfully pair a phone.
Reverse Pairing Your Phone - SYNC Gen 1
- Press the Phone button to enter the Phone menu.
- Scroll repeatedly until SYSTEM SETTINGS appears in the radio display. You may have to select Return up to two times to find SYSTEM SETTINGS. If you see Add Bluetooth Device, you can select that and proceed to step 7.
- Press OK to confirm and enter the SYSTEM SETTINGS menu.
- Scroll repeatedly until BT DEVICES / BLUETOOTH DEVICES appears in the radio display.
- Press OK to confirm and enter the BT DEVICES / BLUETOOTH DEVICES menu.
- Scroll repeatedly until ADD DEVICE / ADD BLUETOOTH DEVICE appears in the display. Press OK to confirm.
- Scroll repeatedly until FIND BT DEVICES / FIND BLUETOOTH DEVICES appears in the display. Press OK to confirm.
- The vehicle will search for nearby discoverable Bluetooth devices. Once SYNC is finished searching, it will display the devices it has found. Scroll through until the device you wish to pair is displayed. Press OK.
- The vehicle will ask you to provide a PIN. We recommend verbally saying "0000." When the PIN is confirmed back, press OK or verbally say "enter."
- Your phone should prompt you with a message that SYNC wants to pair to it. The phone will likely ask you to enter the PIN that you choose in step 9. Enter that PIN and select the OK or Enter button on your phone.
- Listen and watch for any prompts on the SYNC and/or phone screen. Make sure to answer any questions that either device asks.
Back to Reverse Pairing a Phone
*Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
**The Bluetooth word mark is a trademark of the Bluetooth SIG, Inc.