I received a Memory Error when updating SYNC®*. What do I do?
When you insert the USB in your vehicle to install the SYNC update, it may take up to five minutes for the installation to begin.
During this time, SYNC will not display any messages. If you remove the flash drive before the start of the installation, SYNC will display a memory error message such as mem_003.
If you receive a memory error message, you will need to start the installation again.
- Step 1: Remove the flash drive.
- Step 2: Perform a Master Reset.
Note: A SYNC Master Reset returns the system to its factory default settings. You will need to pair your phone again and restore any previously selected settings.
- Press Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
- Tap General.
- Press the scroll bar or swipe vertically until you see Master Reset.
- Press Master Reset. A message confirming that all system settings will be erased and reset to factory defaults will appear.
- Press Continue. A Resetting to factory defaults message will appear, the system will turn off and the screen will go blank. It may take a few minutes for the system to reset and resume normal operation.
- Step 3: Perform a key cycle.
- Turn the vehicle off.
- Open the driver’s door and lock the door.
- Close the driver’s door.
- Wait two minutes and ensure the radio display turns off completely.
- Restart the vehicle.
You can now re-insert the flash drive to start the installation. Do not remove the flash until the installation is complete.
If the above steps do not resolve the issue, contact your Ford Dealer for assistance.
*Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.