How do I use 911 Assist with SYNC®*?
Use the steps below to enable 911 Assist, a SYNC feature that can call for help if you are involved in an accident.
911 Assist is turned off by default. Before SYNC can make a 911 call:
- You must pair and connect a Bluetooth®-enabled and compatible phone to SYNC.
- You must initially enable the 911 Assist feature.
- Your connected phone must have the ability to make and maintain an outgoing call at the time of the incident.
- Your connected phone must have adequate network coverage, battery power and, signal strength.
- The vehicle must have battery power and be located in the United States, Canada, or in a territory in which 911 is the emergency number.
Identifying Your Ford's SYNC Generation
There are two resources to help you identify your vehicle's SYNC generation:
- SYNC and Navigation Updates page, which allows you to enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or Login with your Ford credentials, and select Check for update. Your current SYNC generation will appear on the right-hand side of the page.
- SYNC Visual Reference Guide, which has example images of each generation of SYNC Ford has offered.
Enabling 911 Assist with SYNC
Enable 911 Assist
- Press Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
- Select 911 Assist.
- Slide the button to On.
SYNC® with MyFord Touch®
- Press the Gear icon on your vehicle's on your SYNC screen.
- Press Phone.
- Press 911 Assist.
- Press 911 Assist On.
- Choose your contacts.
- Press Menu.
- Press Help.
- Press 911 Assist.
- Press Edit under In Case of Emergency (ICE) Speed Dial.
SYNC with MyFord
- Press the Menu button.
- Press the Arrows to move through the menu to SYNC Apps. Press OK.
- Press the Arrows until 911 Assist appears on the screen. Press OK.
- To enable 911 Assist, press the Arrows to highlight On. Press OK. A confirmation message will appear briefly: "911 Assist ON."
- To disable 911 Assist, return to the 911 Assist menu and press the Arrows until you see Off, then press OK.
- If you choose Off, you will be prompted with “Set Voice Reminder On?”
- Each time you turn on your vehicle, this feature will remind you that 911 Assist is Off with the message: “SYNC has connected your phone and is reminding you that 911 Assist is set to off.”
- Press the buttons below the screen that corresponds to your choice: Yes or No.
- A confirmation message appears on the SYNC screen, either: “911 Assist, Feature OFF, Voice Reminder ON,” or “911 Assist, Feature OFF, Voice Reminder OFF.”
- Press the Phone button.
- Press the Arrows to scroll through the Phone menu until you see 911 Assist.
- Press the OK button to select it.
- To enable 911 Assist, press the Arrows until you see Set On?, then press OK. You'll see the confirmation message, "911 Assist ON."
- To disable 911 Assist, return to the 911 Assist menu and press the Arrows until you see Set Off?, then press OK.
- You'll see the confirmation message, "911 Assist OFF."
SYNC with Voice Activated Navigation
Enable 911 Assist
- Press the PHONE button.
- Select Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
- Press Advanced.
- Touch 911 Assist ON/OFF.
- Touch Set 911 Assist ON.
The vehicle's electrical system (including the battery), the wireless service provider's signal, and a connected mobile phone must all be available and operating for 911 Assist to function properly. These systems may become damaged in a crash. The paired mobile phone must be connected to SYNC, and the 911 Assist feature enabled, in order for 911 to be dialed. When the feature is ON, 911 Assist uses your paired and connected mobile phone to assist occupants to contact emergency services by dialing 911 if your airbag deploys or, on certain vehicles, if the emergency fuel pump shut-off is activated. Aftermarket on-board diagnostic devices may interfere with various vehicle systems including Vehicle Health Report and 911 Assist. To avoid interference, remove the device or contact the device maker for more information on compatibility.
*Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
**The Bluetooth word mark is a trademark of the Bluetooth SIG, Inc.