Connecting your mobile device to SYNC to get Vehicle Health Alerts
To receive Vehicle Health Alerts (VHA) on your mobile device, you must establish a connection between your device and SYNC® 3 through the Ford Owner mobile app* and your vehicle’s SYNC 3 touchscreen.27
Once you establish the connection and complete the steps below, the Ford Owner mobile app will display VHA notifications on your device detailing your vehicle’s health (as they become available).
Follow these instructions to establish the connection between your device and SYNC 3. You’ll also see similar instructions on your device the first time you connect.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6 and later. Compatible with Android devices running 4.4 and up.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Ford Owner mobile app from the App Store® or Google Play™ store installed on your mobile device, and sign into your Ford Owner account.
- Make sure your vehicle is on, and running.
- Connect your device to SYNC 3 only while your vehicle is in park.
- Connect your device to SYNC 3.
- iOS: Use a cable to plug your iPhone® into your vehicle’s USB port.
- Android: Pair your phone and make sure Bluetooth® is enabled on your device.
- Using the SYNC 3 touchscreen:
- Press the Apps icon in the Feature bar at the bottom of your touchscreen.
- When the next screen appears, press the Ford Owner icon.
- SYNC 3 will establish the connection to the Ford Owner mobile app on your device as it monitors your vehicle’s health and collects diagnostic data. This may take a few minutes.
- During the connection, you might see popup messages on the SYNC 3 touchscreen asking you to enable mobile app permissions. If you see these messages, press Yes.
- After a successful connection, the Ford Owner mobile app will open on your SYNC 3 touchscreen. To close it, press the app’s Exit button on the SYNC 3 touchscreen.
Note: The Ford Owner mobile app will display a lock screen on your mobile device while you’re driving. The first time you connect, the lock screen will remain on your device until the first time you stop your vehicle. The lock screen will turn off after you drive, and stop your vehicle again. You can remove the lock screen at any time by disconnecting your device from SYNC. Once the lock screen is off, the app will display any available alerts on your mobile device.
- Your device is connected to SYNC 3, and you can now enjoy the convenience of leading-edge in-vehicle technology with peace of mind, knowing the system will forward your vehicle’s health alerts as they develop to the Ford Owner mobile app.
If you don’t see the Ford Owner icon on the SYNC 3 touchscreen during the connection process:
- Unplug your iPhone from the USB port, and plug it back in.
- Wait for the Ford Owner icon to appear on the SYNC 3 touchscreen.
- Press the Apps icon in the Feature bar at the bottom of your SYNC 3 touchscreen
- Press the Connect Mobile Apps icon. The Ford Owner icon should appear on the next screen.