Ford Software Updates
Get updates over the air
Convenient, routine Software Updates to keep your Ford performing at its peak.
The Latest Tech
Ford Software Updates are designed to help make your vehicle better over time — for vehicles with SYNC® 4 Technology and beyond.
Updating is easy
Getting updates — Step 1
Turn On Automatic Updates
Getting updates — Step 2
Schedule Update Time
Getting updates — Step 3
Enjoy The Enhanced Experience
MORE INFO ON FORD SOFTWARE UPDATES
Get Dealer Support
Stay up to date with the FordPass® App
Ford Software Update Frequently Asked Questions
There could be a few reasons:
- Your vehicle may not support Ford Software Updates. Refer to your Owner’s Manual to double check
- Software Updates are released on a rolling basis, and by default your vehicle will start the process when that version is released
- You may need to take action to progress the update. Look at your center screen display for icons to see if you have an update pending
Both in your vehicle and by logging in to your Ford account on the FordPass® App or Ford Owner site.
- In your vehicle, go to the Settings menu and tap on System Updates to learn more
- In the app, you will get an alert on your Home screen where you can view Software Update details. Note: You must add your VIN to your account to view this information
- On your vehicle dashboard, scroll to the Software Updates tile where you can view update details. Note: You must add your VIN to your account to view this information
Some updates require your vehicle to be parked with the ignition off for a period of time. When you set a recurring schedule, you can ensure that these types of updates will occur when it’s most convenient for you (e.g., overnight, during work, etc.). You’ll get an in-vehicle and in-app reminder before the update takes place. Visit our HOW TO SET OR CHANGE SCHEDULE article to learn more.
Yes, but it’s not recommended. With Automatic Updates ON, you’ll have a more seamless update experience, and you’ll receive the latest features and enhancements without missing a step. See UPDATE SETTINGS HOW-TO for more information.
You cannot cancel a Software Update once it has started.
You will be notified if a Ford Software Update has a cost associated with it.
Keep an eye out for software update icons that might show up on your in-vehicle screen. These icons inform you about your update once clicked. Check out our What are Ford Software Updates article to view the list of icons.
- aFordPass® Connect, the FordPass® App., and complimentary Connected Service are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected service excludes Wi-Fi® hotspot.
- bDon’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
- cFordPass®, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available via a download. Message and data rates may apply.