Get updates over the air
Convenient, routine software updates to keep your Ford performing at its peak.
The Latest Tech
Software updates are designed to help make your vehicle better over time — for vehicles with SYNC® 4 Technology and beyond.
Updating is easy
Take the following steps next time you’re in your vehicle, and you’ll always be ready for over-the-air updates.
Getting updates — Step 1
Turn On Automatic Updates
Your vehicle will arrive with Automatic Updates enabled. Make sure you keep Automatic Updates toggled to ON so your updates will be downloaded as soon they're available.
Getting updates — Step 2
Schedule Update Time
Some updates require your vehicle to be parked with the ignition off. For these updates, setting a schedule (for overnight or whenever it's convenient) helps ensure you're getting the latest updates without disrupting your day.
MORE INFO ON SOFTWARE UPDATES
Get Dealer Support
Stay up to date with the FordPass® App
Software Update Frequently Asked Questions
There could be a few reasons:
- Your vehicle may not support software updates. Refer to your Owner’s Manual to double check
- Software Updates are released on a rolling basis, and by default your vehicle will start the process when that version is released
- You may need to take action to progress the update. Look at your center screen display for icons to see if you have an update pending
Both in your vehicle and by logging in to your Ford account on the FordPass® App or Ford Owner site.
- In your vehicle, go to the Settings menu and tap on System Updates to learn more
- In the app, you will get an alert on your Home screen where you can view Software Update details. Note: You must add your VIN to your account to view this information
- On your vehicle dashboard, scroll to the Software Updates tile where you can view update details. Note: You must add your VIN to your account to view this information
Some updates require your vehicle to be parked with the ignition off for a period of time. When you set a recurring schedule, you can ensure that these types of updates will occur when it’s most convenient for you (e.g., overnight, during work, etc.). You’ll get an in-vehicle and in-app reminder before the update takes place. Visit our HOW TO SET OR CHANGE SCHEDULE article to learn more.
Yes, but it’s not recommended. With Automatic Updates ON, you’ll have a more seamless update experience, and you’ll receive the latest features and enhancements without missing a step. See UPDATE SETTINGS HOW-TO for more information.
You cannot cancel a Software Update once it has started.
You will be notified if a Software Update has a cost associated with it.
Keep an eye out for software update icons that might show up on your in-vehicle screen. These icons inform you about your update once clicked. Check out our What Are Software Updates article to view the list of icons.
- aFordPass® Connect, the FordPass® App., and complimentary Connected Service are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected service excludes Wi-Fi® hotspot.
- bDon’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
- cFordPass®, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available via a download. Message and data rates may apply.