How do I use the Terrain Management System in my Ford Expedition?
Our Terrain Management System™ comes standard on all Ford Expedition® SUVs equipped with available Intelligent 4WD — and includes eight Selectable Drive Modes.
To use the Terrain Management System in your Expedition:
- Simply locate and rotate the dial on your center console to shuffle through available drive modes
- As you twist the dial, the digital cluster in your SUV will display a matching animation for each setting
- Once you land on your preferred drive mode, your Expedition will automatically adjust to your selection
When you turn your Expedition off and on again, the Terrain Management System will automatically reset to “Normal,” the default drive mode.
Available Drive Modes
All eight drive modes are designed to help you tackle and respond to different driving situations and road conditions — from sand to snow and just about everything in between.
- Normal – the default drive mode, great for everyday road conditions
- Eco – maximizes fuel efficiency to help you drive farther
- Sport – increases accelerator pedal response and engages lower gears longer so you can go faster, plus makes every drive a thrill
- Tow/Haul – provides boosted pulling power for trailers and heavy loads
- Snow/Wet – helps you maintain grip on rainy, wet or snowy roads
- Grass/Gravel/Snow – limits torque to prevent slipping or sliding on gravel, ice, packed snow, water or thin coatings of sand
- Mud/Rut – allows for wheel spin to help maintain momentum and is especially helpful off road on muddy, rutted, soft or uneven ground
- Sand – manages traction control and gear shifts to help you drive through soft dry sand
You can also manually switch between 2WD or 4WD in any given drive mode, depending on your preferences or needs.
Always consult the Owner’s Manual before off-road driving, know your terrain and trail difficulty, and use appropriate safety gear.