What are Software Updates* for my Ford?
Software updates deliver new features and functionality to SYNC®** 4A- and SYNC 4-equipped vehicles using advanced over-the-air technology.
These updates include:
- Software and firmware enhancements.
- Quality improvements.
- Safety and security updates.
How do Software Updates work?
Software Updates are downloaded and installed wirelessly.
- Most software updates are downloaded and installed seamlessly while you drive (as long as you have automatic updates set to ON).
- Some software updates require the vehicle to be parked with the ignition off during installation. Set a schedule so that you can receive these updates at a time and day that is convenient for you (e.g., overnight).
- Software updates will be delivered directly to your vehicle using the vehicle modem (cellular connection) or you can connect to an external Wi-Fi network (e.g., home).
- Most non-drivable updates are completed within 45 minutes or less, while others may take longer. Look in the FordPass† App for specific estimates before installation. Tap the Vehicle Alert Banner on the app's Home screen to see the estimated download time.
How do I set up Software Updates?
- Confirm with your SYNC screen that automatic updates are set to ON.
- Set a schedule for the time and days that are convenient for you to receive non-drivable updates (e.g., overnight or during work hours).
*Feature is available on select vehicles. Features may vary based on model year, trim, options, packages, and supply availability. Use the Build and Price tool to view feature availability on current models. If you have questions or need more information, reference your Owner’s Manual or contact your Ford Dealer. Driver-assist features are supplemental and do not replace the driver’s attention, judgment, and need to control the vehicle. Refer to your Owner’s Manual for details and limitations.
**Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
†The FordPass App, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available through a free download. Message and data rates may apply.