What Is the Ford Side Sensing System?*
The available Side Sensing feature is an enhancement to the Forward Sensing and Reverse Sensing systems. It uses a chime and a visual diagram display on your touchscreen with red, yellow, and green highlights to indicate where the closest object to your vehicle is detected.
The sensors are on the front and rear bumpers. The sensors are active when the transmission is in any position other than Park (P). The system turns off when the vehicle speed reaches 5 mph (8 km/h).
Distance object indicator
The system provides object distance indication through the information display.
- Yellow: Objects detected between 24 in (60 cm) and 12 in (30 cm)
- Red: Objects detected below 12 in (30 cm)
As the distance to the object decreases, the indicators illuminate and move towards the vehicle icon.
If there is no object detected, the distance indicator blocks are gray.
Warning tone indicator
A warning tone sounds when your vehicle approaches an object in the yellow zone. The warning tone continuously sounds when an object is 12 in (30 cm) or less.
When you stop your vehicle, the audible warning turns off after two seconds and the visual warning turns off after four seconds.
- Keep the sensors free from snow, ice, and large accumulations of dirt.
- Do not cover up sensors.
- Do not clean the sensors with sharp objects.
- If your vehicle sustains damage leaving the sensors misaligned, this may cause inaccurate measurements or false alerts.
- Some accessories, for example, larger trailer hitches or bike or surfboard racks can cause reduced performance or false alerts.
*Driver-assist features are supplemental and do not replace the driver’s attention, judgment, and need to control the vehicle. See your Owner's Manual for details and limitations.